The Houston Dynamo have set an MLS record with 11 goals through three games this season (note courtesy Elias Sports Bureau). The previous record was set by the 1999 Chicago Fire with 10 goals through three games (including Ante Razov scoring two goals in each of the three games). Here are a few notes on the Dynamo’s historic offense through three games and other notable offensive spells in Dynamo history.
- The only previous time the Dynamo have scored three or more goals in three consecutive games was September 2007, when Houston beat Real Salt Lake 4-3 (9/8/07) and then posted road wins of 3-1 at the LA Galaxy (9/16/07) and 3-0 at FC Dallas (9/30/07).
- This is the third time the Dynamo have scored 10 or more goals over a three-game span. In addition to the three games in September 2007 (above), Houston scored 10 goals over three home games in August 2008, with a 2-0 victory over the Columbus Crew (8/2/08), a 4-3 win over Real Salt Lake (8/16/08) and a 4-0 decision against Chivas USA (8/20/08).
- Looking ahead to Saturday’s road game at Vancouver, Houston’s largest goal output over a four-game stretch is 12 goals, achieved in the August 2008 streak (above), including the preceding game, a 2-0 win at D.C. United (7/23/08).
- Houston can extend its streak of multiple goals in a game to four at Vancouver. The last time the Dynamo recorded two or more goals in four consecutive games was the first four games of the 2013 season (two goals each).
- The Dynamo’s longest multi-goal game streak is five, set during a five-game win streak in July/August 2012 (Wins of 4-0, 2-1, 3-0, 2-0 and 2-0 for 13 total goals).
- Seven different players have scored through three games: Will Bruin, Andrew Wenger, Cristian Maidana, Giles Barnes, Ricardo Clark, David Horst and Alex Lima. Last year, it took until the season’s 11th game (5/10/15 at Toronto FC) for the seventh different Dynamo player to score.
- Last year, the Dynamo didn’t score their 11th goal until the season’s ninth game (5/1/15 vs. FC Dallas).
- The Dynamo also set an MLS mark with eight goals through two games after the club-record 5-0 win over FC Dallas on March 12.
The Dynamo visit Vancouver Whitecaps FC at 9 p.m. CT on Saturday (ROOT Sports SW) and return home to host the Seattle Sounders on Sunday, April 10 (TICKETS) and the LA Galaxy on Friday, April 15.