Dynamo Match Recap

Houston Dynamo FC fall 1-0 at Minnesota United FC


Houston Dynamo FC fell 1-0 on the road to Minnesota Untied FC after a late equalizing opportunity from a free kick was saved and sent the visitors home without an equalizer.

Houston ended the match with more possession, accurate passes and total crosses, while earning double the amount of corners than Minnesota.

Minnesota took the lead in the 14th minute after the Loons capitalized on a turnover at the top of the box. Bongokuhle Hlongwane was well positioned to capitalize on the loose ball and found the far post for the lone goal of the match.

Dynamo midfielder Adalberto “Coco” Carrasquilla tallied Houston's first shot on goal of the evening in the fourth minute. The play began following a clearance from defender Ethan Bartlow. Defender Daniel Steres, who made his 150th league start today, saved the ball from going out of play and found forward *Aliyu Ibrahim *near midfield for the breakaway play. Ibrahim, who made his first MLS start today, found Carrasquilla in space outside the box and the Panamanian international forced a save at the near post.

The crossbar denied the Dynamo in the 22nd minute after midfielder Artur slipped in a ball to Ibrahim at the edge of the box. The 21-year-old created space for a shot, but his effort just missed the inside of the top corner at the near post.

Dynamo goalkeeper Steve Clark denied a one-touch finish from Franco Fragapane in the 42nd minute and was well positioned to deny Hlongwane seconds later from point-blank range. Clark was called into action two minutes later, this time to deny Fragapane’s header at the near post. The veteran shot stopper finished with four saves against the Loons tonight.

Fragapane had a free look on goal in the 53rd minute and was denied again by Clark, this time the veteran shot stopper used his torso to deny the forward.

Dynamo forward Sebas Ferreira capitalized on a clearance inside the box in the 62ndminute, but his effort was saved by Minnesota goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair.

Forward Iván Franco created his own space in the 77th minute with a quick turn just past midfield and found forward Thor Úlfarsson running into the box, however, the shot was immediately blocked by defender Kamar Lawrence. Úlfarsson had a shot on goal from the edge of the penalty box on the ensuing corner, but St. Clair managed to scoop up the chance.

In stoppage time, Miguel Tapias fouled Úlfarsson to the right side of the penalty box to give Houston one final chance to equalize. Carrasquilla’s delivery found defender Brad Smith’shead in the middle of the box, but his attempt was scooped up by St. Clair, leaving the Dynamo still searching for their first road victory this season.

The Dynamo are back in action on Saturday, May 20 when they travel north to face in-state rivals FC Dallas with kickoff at Toyota Stadium scheduled for 7:30 p.m. CT. The Dynamo and Minnesota will meet again on Tuesday, May 23 in the Round of 16 of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup at Shell Energy Stadium.