Houston Dynamo FC have reached the 2023 US Open Cup final, overcoming Real Salt Lake with a 3-1 extra-time victory in Wednesday night's semifinal at Shell Energy Stadium.
The result books Houston a USOC final date at Inter Miami CF on Sept. 27, plus ensures they'll compete in the 2024 Concacaf Champions Cup regardless of how next month's title bout unfolds.
The Concacaf Champions Cup tournament will feature 27 teams from across North America, Central America, and the Caribbean. Its winner reaches the FIFA Club World Cup.
The following MLS clubs have qualified for the 2024 Concacaf Champions Cup:
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC (Canadian Championship champs)
- Inter Miami CF (Leagues Cup winner)
- Nashville SC (Leagues Cup runners-up)
- Philadelphia Union (Leagues Cup third place)
- Houston Dynamo FC (US Open Cup finalist)
The following non-MLS teams will also compete in the 2024 tournament.
- Mexico: Pachuca, Toluca, Club América, CF Monterrey, Chivas de Guadalajara, Tigres UANL
In addition to the MLS and Liga MX teams, an additional 11 teams from Canada, the Caribbean, and Central America will earn berths.
- Caribbean Cup (3 berths): Champion, Runner-Up, Third Place
- Central American Cup (6 berths): Champion, Runner-Up, two losing Semifinalists, 2 play-in winners
- Canadian Premier League (2 berths): Champion, Regular Season Champion
The Concacaf Champions Cup will continue to be played in a direct elimination knockout stage format and will be composed of five rounds: Round One, Round of 16, Quarterfinals, Semifinals, and Final.
The first four stages will each include home and away play, while the Final, where the region’s Champion will be crowned, will be played as a single-leg match on a weekend date.
Of the 27 clubs that will participate, 22 will begin play in Round One and the following five will receive a bye to the Round of 16.
- Leagues Cup winner: Inter Miami CF
- MLS Cup winner
- Liga MX 2022-23 Apertura champion with higher aggregate table points: Pachuca
- Caribbean Cup champion
- Central American Cup champion
The 27-team tournament features two-legged matchups in the first four rounds. The Final will be played as a single-leg match on a weekend date.
The winner of the tournament will join the 2021 (Tigres UANL), 2022 (Seattle Sounders FC), and 2023 (Club Léon) champions in the expanded 2025 FIFA Club World Cup in the United States.